Followers

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Coffee Scoop

Once upon a time, I had a coffee scoop. It was a good scoop. Wasn’t anything fancy -  just a plan ole coffee scoop that could be found in most grocery stores and some hardware stores.

Scoop 1

You will notice this is a precise kitchen gadget. It measures 2 1/4” in overall length and is calibrated to measure exactly 1/8 cup or 30ml (that’s metric). There are 16 tablespoons in a cup so 1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons.  That calibration makes it easy to prep for a good cup of coffee since 2 tablespoons is a standard measure for each 8 ounce cup of coffee.

When my daughter and her son moved in with us, we merged kitchens. I retired my trusty coffee scoop because I really liked hers better.  It was also calibrated for 2 tablespoons. It had a longer handle – 8 1/4” to be exact.

DSC_1290

That long handle made it easier to reach deep into the bottom of a 1 pound bag of your favorite brew. This is an official Starbucks scoop that is no longer available from Starbucks so it is extremely valuable. Right!

When we started loading up the RV for traveling, that long-handled Starbucks coffee scoop made it to the RV. Realizing that I cannot keep the long-handled Starbucks Scoop in the RV, I decided to make a new coffee scoop.

My new coffee scoop had to be unique; a one-of-a-kind, like me. I found a coffee bean pen blank and a kit from Woodcraft that would be perfect for the RV.

Scoop 3

I can say I had fun making this.  As I was turning this on the lathe, the shop smelled like freshly brewed coffee. If you have the Smell-O-Vision app for your PC, you can scratch the image and smell the coffee beans.

This scoop is calibrated for 1 tablespoon and is about 5” long. I will have to remember to double the scoops when I make coffee in the RV.  I don’t think that will be hard to remember. Now my daughter can have her Starbucks coffee scoop back.

Now, I am thirsty.

1 comment: