Followers

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Thanksgiving and family traditions go hand in hand. Since we have an empty house and our RV is chaotic and disorganized, it was decided that we would celebrate Thanksgiving with our youngest daughter.  She planed, prepped, cooked and did a wonderful job of hosting all of us today.

Before I go on about today, I would like to tell you a bit about Wednesday. Carol and I decided to make a drive to Catarina, TX for a pre Thanksgiving feast with Donna and Tom, Carol’s sister and her husband.  They are full time RVing and are currently working with Gate Guard Services out of Corpus Christi. Current assignment is the Rocking 5 Stanley Ranch where Anadarko Petroleum is drilling in the Eagle Ford Shale.

Monday of this week, the trails lost Dieter, their wonderful fur baby, in an accident involving one of the 18-wheelers. Dieter was a wonderful companion and loved people – especially children. He will be missed by all who knew him. Needless to day, Monday was a dark day for Tom and Donna.

We got a late start out of Corpus Christi, so we did not get to their gate until around 12:30PM. Their gate is about 7 miles off  US 83 on a very rough road. Posted speed limit on this road is 20 MPH, so the last 7 miles took forever.    We were blessed with a 2 hour lull that allowed us to enjoy a full Thanksgiving meal with no interruptions. After the visit, that was way too short, we headed back to Corpus Christi. Our fur babies where glad to see us.

That brings is back to Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for that the list would just go on and on. Instead of doing that, I would like to say that I am most thankful for my wife’s maternal grandparents. Blanche Barrett (aka Mom ‘B’) and Bill Barrett. Mom ‘B’ was the person who planted the seed of Jesus in my heart in 1966, one year before my wife and I married in 1967. Their Christian walk had a tremendous impact on my life and spiritual growth. So, I close by saying I am thankful today to have been so richly blessed by Mom ‘B’s’ compassionate heart, and by Grand Daddy Bill’s strong Christian witness of what Jesus had done in your life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment